*When both parties are onshore in Melbourne, Australia and wish to get married at the time they are applying for a Spouse Migration Visa, the Melbourne Private Marriage Registry is highly experienced in providing a beautiful marriage ceremony with all legal requirements.

All Commonwealth Registered Marriage Celebrants at Melbourne Private Marriage Registry are authorised by the Commonwealth of Australia. It is their aim to do everything they can to make this part of the process as simple for you as possible. However, please note that all of out team are unable to provide any official legal advice on immigration information. This should be obtained from a Registered Migration Agent or a Migration Lawyer. What we can do is to advise you how to go about lodging your intent to marry in Australia and what we can provide you with that will get the immigration ball rolling. 

The first step.

Your first step is to lodge your Notice of Intention to Marry form with us.  This is essentially your 'marriage licence' which allows you to get married one month after it is signed, witnessed and lodged with us. As with all lodgements, there will be a non-refundable lodgement fee for the Notice of Intended Marriage form. That fee is $150 as at October 1st, 2019.

To make sure that we can fill out all of your paperwork correctly you will need to bring some identification documentation with you. If you were born in Australia, please ensure that you bring either your passport or an original copy of your birth certificate (along with additional driver’s license or proof of age card for photo identification). If you were born outside Australia, please bring along a copy of your overseas birth certificate or passport. If you have been married previously, we will also need to sight an official copy of your divorce certificate or death certificate of your late spouse. If any of these documents are in a language other than english they will need to be translated for a government approved translator. You may wish to visit www.naati.com.au to find a translator near you. 
The celebrant will need to sight the originals of these documents prior to the legal marriage, and prior to you signing the Statutory Declaration - 'Form 14'.

Once the initial paperwork is lodged with the celebrant, the couple can book in a suitable wedding date of their choice - at any mutually suitable time. This booking may be made in one month from the lodgement date - right up to 18 months time from the date of the lodgement of the Notice of Intended Marriage form for a wedding to be conducted at the Melbourne Private Marriage Registry.

Call us any day of the week on (03) 9820 1119.

If any of this sounds a bit confusing or 'too hard', please feel free to give us a call on (03) 9820 1119, or if the administration offices are unattended - please call 0424 77 88 00 and let us help you through the process of getting married in Australia.