PLEASE NOTE: As at March, 2020 - due to the COVID-19 Lockdown requirements - we are only able to offer half hour ceremony bookings ONLY - and there is a strict 'no guests' policy in place to comply with the laws. Ceremonies will be conducted with only the couple, the 2 witnesses and the Celebrant. Whilst we have chosen not to change all the wording on our website at this time - any references on our website which indicate that ceremonies are allowed more than two witnesses will only be valid once the 'number of guest restrictions' are lifted by the Australian Government.
Can I get married in less than a month? 
The short answer is – not usually. It is our job to adhere to all the Commonwealth requirements to ensure all legalities around marriage are met. However, there are some specific circumstances under which couples are permitted a ‘shortening of time.’ If you think you may be eligible, please call us to discuss and we will assist you with the information you require to apply for a Shortening of Notice through the correct Government process.
How long is the Notice of Intended Marriage valid for? And what if I still want to get married after the legal time has expired? 
The Notice of Intended Marriage is valid for up to 18 months after it is lodged. 
However - if you should still wish to be married after the expiration of the form, we will happily sign a new form for you - without a second lodgement fee - towards the end of the 18 months. Just call the office to arrange a new NOIM form signing if time is running out on your Notice lodgement.
Both of us can’t be there to lodge our Notice of Intended marriage, can one of us lodge it without the other present? 
Yes! Legally only one of you is required to lodge the Notice on the couple’s behalf. We ask that the details of both parties to the marriage are filled out at the time of lodgement, and that you bring along copies of the relevant supporting identification and 'proof of how the last marriage ended' documents with you.  We will require the other party to the marriage to sign the NOIM before the day of the ceremony.
I dont have all the answers required on the form. Can I still lodge this?
Yes you may still lodge the form if you havent filled out every single field, however - you will be required to have all answers and all documentation available prior to the ceremony taking place. If any part is missing the ceremony will need to be postponed until everything is completed legally.
Is it possible to lodge my Notice of Intended Marriage from overseas? 
Yes it is possible to lodge your Notice of Intended Marriage from Overseas. Download a copy of the Notice and then have it witnessed legally. Once this is done you may email a scanned copy of the form to us, or fax us (you would need to call us first), or mail this to us in Australia.  Its important to remember that if you send us a copy of the form, the marriage will not be able to take place unless you provide us with the original form at some time prior to the marriage ceremony.
Can I bring my own music? 
Yes! We encourage you to bring your own music and personalise it to your own style! We have an iPod dock which you can plug your playlist into (you will need one of your party to manage the start and stop of your songs), and we have a CD player which you can play your own CD’s on - although its best to bring a back up on a USB stick if you have burnt your playlist, just in case your CD does not play for any technical reason due to incompatibility with the deck.

Will I get Australian Citizenship when I get married? 
If you marry an Australian citizen, you do not have an automatic right to Australian citizenship. You will still need to apply for citizenship and satisfy the eligibility criteria. You can obtain further information from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website at
As a bride, I am planning to change my name to my partner's surname, so do I sign with my old signature or my new married signature when I sign the Marriage Certificates on the day of the wedding? 
The bride should sign the marriage certificate with her usual signature that she has been using prior to being married.
When can I change my name after the wedding? 
Any person who marries may choose to take their spouse’s surname. You are not legally required to take your spouse’s surname once you are married.

If you wish to take your spouse’s surname, you must obtain a certificate of marriage issued by your State or Territory Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages. This is usually sufficient evidence to have your personal documentation (eg. driver’s licence) changed to your married surname.

The certificate you received on your wedding day is ceremonial and will not meet the identity requirements of many government agencies, such as the passport office.
What process do I need to follow in order to be married in Australia? 
In Australia, marriage is regulated by the Marriage Act 1961, which sets out the process for getting married and the legal requirements of a valid marriage.

1. A completed Notice of Intended Marriage form must be given to your celebrant at least one month (and up to 18 months) before the wedding.
2. You and your partner must provide your celebrant with evidence of your date and place of birth, identity and the end of any previous marriages.
3. You must both sign the ‘Declaration of no legal impediment to marriage’. By signing the Declaration, you declare that you believe that you are of marriageable age, and that there is no legal impediment to your marriage.
4. On your wedding day, your celebrant will solemnise your marriage. Your celebrant will then ask you, your partner and your witnesses to sign up to three marriage certificates forms/pages.
5. After your wedding, your marriage celebrant will register the marriage with the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the State or Territory where your marriage took place.
I want to have a 'family wedding'. Are children welcome? 
Absolutely! We welcome weddings with all members of the family, and especially children! We are known as Australia's 'family friendliest' Marriage Registry. 
Its probably a bit of a strange question, but can I bring my dog to my ceremony? Are animals welcome? 
Yes we get asked this A LOT! And YES you may bring your four legged friends along... just let us know that they are coming prior to the ceremony.
We also welcome weddings with literally ALL family members - including the four-legged kind! We have even had ceremonies with Bearded Dragons, Snakes and Cats attending with their beloved owners. 
What do I need to wear on the day of my wedding? 
You can wear absolutely anything you want to wear! That is a decision you can make as a couple. 

To give you some examples, we have had weddings with: couples dressed in full formal outfits and the full white wedding dress, couples in semi-formal attire, couples in their personal country of origin's traditional outfits, couples dressed in their business outfits (particularly for early morning elopements prior to heading back to work, couples dressed in military gear for a 'zombie wedding', couples in full fancy dress, couples in casual jeans and casual wear, couples in 'travelling clothes' on their way to the airport as they head off overseas for their ceremonial wedding, and just so many different styles. We encourage you to wear ANYTHING that makes you feel happy on the day.

Do we have to exchange rings on the day of the wedding? 
It is NOT a legal requirement to exchange rings on the day of your ceremony - so the answer is "No" - you dont have to exchange any rings unless that is what you want. You may choose to exchange one ring or two rings on the day, or no rings at all.
We dont have any witnesses that we can bring on the day of our elopement. Can you provide witnesses?
Yes it is possible for us to organise witnesses for your ceremony. There is a fee of $50 per person which is charged to cover  their travel and time for each witness. 
Our guests are not from Australia. Can they still be our chosen witnesses on our wedding day?
Yes they may be your witnesses to sign the legal paperwork on the day of your wedding. Witnesses are not required to be Australian residents or citizens, they may be from any country as long as they are 18 years of age or older.